Diesel fired hydronic heating

Billylll

Active member
Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
RO Number
24494
Messages
10,273
I am wondering and hoping for some ideas about heating our Mainship 40 Sedan Bridge for year round usage in the mid-atlantic area. I'm inclined to use either Espar or Webasto hydronic systems. They make various self contained systems and diesel fired boilers. Since I'm repowering with diesels I figure there is no better time than now. I was thinking of 5 to 6 zones. The ER, Main Stateroom (bow), the Head, Galley, Salon and the bridge. For the salon I am thinking about 18,000BTUs and since the Galley is on the same level but partially blocked 7,000 BTU's for it. The main stateroom (bow) a 8,000BTU unit and the head a 3500BTU unit. I am considering the Webasto DBW2010 boiler. The helm would have a zone I could bypass and possibly be a 25,000 BTU unit as well. The total capacity of the boiler is 45,000 BTU's.
Each zone would have it's own thermostat and fan controller.
I'm looking for suggestions and comments.
Bill
 
Billy, back way back when I was looking I liked the hurricane heater. Since I think I've read where this one has a loud burner. Espar used to have an issue with a part on the burner but this was about 10 years ago. Liveaboard use is what I was looking into (24/7). I wanted the hydronic also which keeps any smells outside. I haven't looked into it for a decade so things may have changed.
Luck!
 
Thanks things have really changed in the boiler department in 10 years. I am looking for live aboard quality as well.
You may be talking about the "lift" fuel pump. They make a lift pump that is now mounted on an insulated isolated panel to reduce running noise.
Bill
 
I realize I live in FL so I have a totally different set of issues. But, what would be wrong with just using reverse cycle A/C to heat?

Does the hydronic heating system burn less fuel than your gen would?

Just curious. I'm getting an education here. :)

Bob
 
Bob:
reverse cycle is generally limited to a 40 degree rise and struggles when using very cold water. The constant blowing of less than body temp air never feels warm even if the temp is normal. For occasional use in spring and fall it is OK but it does get cold in NJ
 
quote:

Originally posted by pdecat

Bob:
reverse cycle is generally limited to a 40 degree rise and struggles when using very cold water. The constant blowing of less than body temp air never feels warm even if the temp is normal. For occasional use in spring and fall it is OK but it does get cold in NJ






I knew there had to be a good explanation. :)

One more good reason for living in Florida. :)

Bob
 
Bruce, venting is done at the boiler it vents out the hull which will be in the ER under the cockpit. The heat is exchanged by running the heated water through radiators with a circulation pump and fans move the air through the heat exchangers fins. It also does double duty and heats your hotwater tank though it's exchanger. Kills 2 birds with one stone. I'm leaning towards the 45,000BTU Webasto unit with individual controls on each exchanger. The boiler is diesel fired.
Bill
 
I have 2 16,000btu reverse air units and they were new in 2007. I can tell you they don't work well at all once the water falls below 42 degrees. Plus I either need to run the generator or draw almost the full amount of my 2 30amp shore circuits when both compressors kick on. I will be installing a large 25,000btu exchanger in the bridge. I also have a 15,000BTU heat pump camper style low profile unit on the hardtop but heat rises so it doesn't do all that much but take the chill off.
Bill
 
quote:

Originally posted by Billylll

I can tell you they don't work well at all once the water falls below 42 degrees.





Yep, Florida is the place for me. I saw the water in the mid 60's last winter but that was unusual. Plus, my boat is much smaller so my problems of this type are much smaller. :)

Bill, I can't wait to watch your repower. That and the Trawler refit will keep me entertained for quite some time to come.

Bob

PS: The first time you plan a cruise south be sure to include a stop in Palm Coast.
 
Don't overlook the importance of insulation for a liveaboard. The air may be warm but if the walls are cold the comfort diminishes. Mid atlantic may me less important, but on LI cold walls are cold.

Also, don't forget about the fresh water lines that run next to (or in) the walls (hull sides)to the galley, head or flybridge. There is another thread regarding heat tape on these lines which may be a viable insurance action to prevent freezing of these on those bitter nights.
 
insulation helps reduce condensation on cold surfaces as well. The amount of moisture inside the small volume of a boat from people, cooking etc can be considerable. You might benefit from some forced venting to allow or even force hot moist air out of the boat.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Rcoff512

Don't overlook the importance of insulation for a liveaboard. The air may be warm but if the walls are cold the comfort diminishes. Mid atlantic may me less important, but on LI cold walls are cold.

Also, don't forget about the fresh water lines that run next to (or in) the walls (hull sides)to the galley, head or flybridge. There is another thread regarding heat tape on these lines which may be a viable insurance action to prevent freezing of these on those bitter nights.





The insulation is already taken care of, I also have heat tape 110VAC wrapped around my cold water plumbing from the salon forward. Currently my ER is under the cockpit and gas so they are not protected other than using an ignition proof boatsafe heater.
Bill
 
If you are going to base the boat in North Carolina, I see no need to do this. My opinion is that it it just adds complication, expense, and"another thing to go wrong". Water temps will stay high enough for your reverse cycle AC to do just fine. Last winter was a lousy one in NC and I don't think anyone on the coast got water temps much below 50. We were always cozy. As I am sure you will, get good block heaters on your new engines and leave them on. Of course the best solution is to take the boat 1000 miles further south during the winter.

If you still insist on complicating your life in this fashion, Hurricane and Kabola are other brands to consider. If you go over to to the Trawlers and Trawlering e-mail list forum, there is extensive discussion in the archives. A buddy with a 42 Hatteras LRC who kept his boat in the water in Rhode Island settled on a Hurricane and was very happy with it.

George
Hatteras 56MY
Boston Whaler 130 Sport
 
George I don't know where our travels will eventually take us with the boat. Hence the hydronic system. There is no better time to do it than once I start the repower.
Yes I am moving my permenanent home to North Carolina but we will be taking the boat back and forth to NJ every year after the repower. My wife likes the boat toasty warm so I like keeping her happy.
Thanks for the link to the Trawler forum, Tony (WoodSong) also pointed me to those threads as well.
Bill
 
George a big thank you on the Hurricane Heating system. It looks like exactly what I am looking for.
I downloaded the PDFs and will research further +1.
Bill
 
George what model boiler and exchangers did your friend use in his 42 Hatt? I'm curious about his entire system.
Bill
 
Bill, I'll try to reach him next week. Just to repeat my opinion, as someone who has lived aboard and cruised the greater part of the east coast, this is an item that is on none of our "need to have", "want to have", or "it'd be nice to have" lists, all of which are copious. It was when I got the boat, then reality taught me to strike it off. The only reason my friend, who is somewhat gadgety oriented like you, got one is because he kept the boat in the water in Fall River and Newport in winter and lived on it a good deal of the time. He said he also occasionally used it when running the boat on the inverter.
 
George, Bill gets what Bill want's I think you have me figured out. There are many toys and comforts on this boat that it doesn't need. However I have friends in Maine I would like to meet some day and perhaps do the entire loop so while I am still able to be afforded the time, luxury and can help with the installation I have this on my must have list. You just never know I could walk out the door 2 years from now and get hit by a chunck of blue ice. Until that time I intend to enjoy work, my wife, myself and my boat.
I also appreciate you engaging your friend to find out which system and components he used since our boats are somewhat similar in size.
Bill
Somebody has to help stimulate the economy I might as well help!
 
Back
Top