Distilled Water?

rbeachhouse

Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2011
RO Number
32506
Messages
98
Is the water that comes from a DE-humidifier considered distilled water thus can be used to top off batteries?
 
Probably, but at eighty nine cents a gallon including the container, I would just use the commercial stuff and be sure. You don't know if the water from the dehumidifier has been contaminated by the equipment.

I use distilled water (commercial variety) to mix with my anti freeze as well. Cheap insurance.
 
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Sorta kinda.....

The water from your dehumidifier is in effect distilled, but not reverse osmosis distiller. It will contain trace impurities as the air that passes through the dehumidifier may contain impurities such as tobacco smoke if some one smokes in the house as well as colognes, air fresheners and other "stuff" in the air we breathe.

HTH

We have used this water for steam irons and batteries for many years with no ill effects.
This water however is not really suitable for human consumption and I would not use it for watering plants and the like.
Regards
John
 
The water from a dehumidifier is really not considered distilled. It is more accurately called atmospheric water generation. The difference is distilled water is boiled which kills any pathogens.

Generally, dehumidifier water is considered a rather clean kind of greywater: not suitable for drinking, but acceptable for watering plants, though not garden vegetables.
The water may contain trace metals from solder and other metallic parts, most significantly lead (which is quite dangerous), but also copper, aluminum, and zinc. The trace metals pose a danger if used on edible plants, as they can bioaccumulate; however, the water is usable for irrigation of non-edible plants.
various pathogens, including fungal spores, may accumulate in the water particularly due to its stagnancy; unlike in distilled water production, the water is not boiled, which would kill pathogens (including bacteria); as with distilled water, minerals are largely absent, hence it is somewhat flat-tasting and therefore safe for use in batteries.
 
My company sells self-filing water coolers with RO system use to purify the water but at a trade show I once saw a water cooler with a source of water from the built in dehumidifier! No more water delivery. They included a UV lamp which would sanitize the water and a carbon filter to remove any taste and odors. Granted, it would only work in humid areas of the country. While viable, I think it would not appeal to most people.

I concur with the comments above. Growing up in humid NY, my dad always used the water from the dehumidifier for car batteries and mom used it in her steam iron and plants. I'm now living in Utah where humidifiers are a way of life.

Purified water is water that contains less than 20 ppm or mg/l of total dissolved solids (TDS). Water processed by distillation, reverse osmosis or capturing condensation (atmospheric water generation) should be fine for use in batteries.
 
I seem to remember reading that if water comes in contact with metal....copper pipe, condensing tubes etc., would not be considered distilled anymore. Just my 2 cents !
 
Thank you for the replies...I am just going to go buy a gallon. There is nothing coming out of my De-humidifier now anyway. I was doing my winter monthly routine of charging my batteries when I noticed the fluid was a little low.
 
no, no it contains all sorts of junk you dont want in the batts.
 
Not to beat a dead horse but BOATING magazine just arrived and boating tip #43 suggesting using your dehumidifier as a source of free distilled water to top off your batteries.

While I still believe the dehumidifier water, if fresh, would be ok, I do agree with rawidman and just go buy a bottled of distilled water.
 
The persistance of bad ideas in boating is exceed only by their persistance in governement.
 
Back
Top