Dockside Water Filtration

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

Yes I've used pretty much all the rechargeable softener/filters like and including the Water Mark. They work well as softeners and particle filters when you use a particle pre-filter. But you can save money by buying the same type tank softener that is in the Water Mark unit online or sometimes at a Home Depot.

They tout these softeners/filters as "spot free". But that really isn't true. They help with water spots. But for rinse down water to be truly spot free you have to have significantly knocked down the dissolved solids in it. And the only realistic way to do that is with an RO machine. Either from an on board salt to fresh RO machine or a fresh to fresh RO machine like the Spot Zero machine that a lot of large yachts are starting to use. http://www.spotzerowater.com/products.html?view=tovar&id=2






Yeah, slightly different animal compared to a simple sediment filter. Seems to me one of the 2-3 common brands actually is SpotFree or something similar...

Still, one of those augmented with a 1-micron pre-filter probably would at least help a bit more. Might depend on whether the goal is good tasting potable drinking water, or "spot-reduced" washdown water, or both.

(I see on one of the WaterMark links that the optional pre- and post-filters seem to be the smaller diamater household size, not the functional equilavalent of Culligan's "Big Blue" -- or Pentek's equivalent -- filter housings as available from filtersfast dot.com)

But that's all beginning to sound like a plumbing project :)

-Chris
 
Yeah, a lot of boats use a rechargeable Spot Free type unit with a Big Blue pre-filter. Some just use two Big Blues. One with a charcoal element in it and the one up stream of that with a sediment element in it.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

Yeah, a lot of boats use a rechargeable Spot Free type unit with a Big Blue pre-filter. Some just use two Big Blues. One with a charcoal element in it and the one up stream of that with a sediment element in it.






I'm in the two filters camp, so far.

I've been thinking about adding the "water softener" part for a couple years now, still hasn't bubbled to the top of my to-do list.

It's easier to just use a Big Blue with dual 25 micron pre- and 1 micron post-filter element (same as we use at our house) since our marina is also on a well system, and then additionally filtering drinking water with a carbon filter (happens I just ordered a .5 micron version of that).

Not sure any additional "softening" would add much improvement... although it'd be useful to hear various reviews about that...

-Chris
 
quote:

Originally posted by ranger42c

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

Yeah, a lot of boats use a rechargeable Spot Free type unit with a Big Blue pre-filter. Some just use two Big Blues. One with a charcoal element in it and the one up stream of that with a sediment element in it.






I'm in the two filters camp, so far.

I've been thinking about adding the "water softener" part for a couple years now, still hasn't bubbled to the top of my to-do list.

It's easier to just use a Big Blue with dual 25 micron pre- and 1 micron post-filter element (same as we use at our house) since our marina is also on a well system, and then additionally filtering drinking water with a carbon filter (happens I just ordered a .5 micron version of that).

Not sure any additional "softening" would add much improvement... although it'd be useful to hear various reviews about that...

-Chris








Soft water .......stern rinse off shower......not a good situation unless there are nekked college girls and ivory soap flakes involved.......

Ooooops....sorry.....I'm back from Thailand now!

Either way you are going to run out of water. Soft water rocks!
 
quote:

Originally posted by ranger42c

[quote

It's easier to just use a Big Blue with dual 25 micron pre- and 1 micron post-filter element (same as we use at our house) since our marina is also on a well system, and then additionally filtering drinking water with a carbon filter (happens I just ordered a .5 micron version of that).

-Chris






.5 micron is very fine. I think might find they will clog up fairly fast even with the other prefilters you have.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

quote:

Originally posted by ranger42c

[quote

It's easier to just use a Big Blue with dual 25 micron pre- and 1 micron post-filter element (same as we use at our house) since our marina is also on a well system, and then additionally filtering drinking water with a carbon filter (happens I just ordered a .5 micron version of that).

-Chris






.5 micron is very fine. I think might find they will clog up fairly fast even with the other prefilters you have.








Yep, agree, but I figure it's worth a test, given that we only carry 200 gals of fresh water. The well water at the marina is MUCH clearer than we have hear at home, though, so I have hope.

In our case, everything (so far) is portable, so it all travels with us. I reckon if I added one of the water softeners, I'd end up with that in a semi-fixed mount at our marina... and I'm less inclined to do that for a variety of reasons.

-Chris
 
Back
Top