Electrcal Fire, Engine Room

Yes both times. The first one was plugged into the tele and refer. Something in it failed while I was away. There may have been a power surge to cues the problem with that one. I wish now I would have opened it up to see.

The second one was brand new. I bought it to work from the boat. Unpackaged it and plugged my laptop in and my secondary monitor in and it set off the light. When I took it apart, two of the plugs were wired backwards instead all the fat plugs wired together and all the skinny plugs wired together of parallel all the way down. Both the computer and monitor were working fine however. I tossed the surge protector and plugged each into the same outlet. No light.

Like I said, I don't know if it is his problem but it seems he tried everything else.
 
To the original RO has the reverse polarity light issue been fixed? If so what was the cause? I almost hate to ask.
Bill
 
Hi Bill

Sorry I haven't answered sooner, the problem hasn't been fixed.

To top it off I had a transmission problem an am now looking for a transmission ZF for a Caterpiller engine. When we went to the lake after they removed the transmission , my DC side was acting up. When ever we turned on a light or pump the power would pulse. The dial on my charger showed 9 amps and then would bounce to 13 .5. Checked the power out of the batteries and got a reading of 12 volts. At the charger 12volts coming into the panel 12 and coming out of the panel 8,5 bouncing to 13,5. Tried ever breaker the same happened. Grounded the engine where the transmission was removed even thou it was turned off at battery in the engine room. I dont know if this is related and we are getting some feedback from the AC side or somehow wires were damaged when they removed the transmission. its hard to belive they even got it out of the engine room.

We stayed on the boat one night only turning off all main breakers to both panels. We won't be staying on the boat till all this is somehow resolved.
It has started to be a very frustrating summer.
 
At this point I would say everything other then the transmission is related. I would start looking for a marine electrician. Otherwise I have a feeling your summer (as short as it is in Canada) will be very frustrating. I wish I was closer because I would try and help you diagnose the problem or problems.
Bill
 
Back
Top