Engine alignment woes.

Check the measurements at the end of your alignment tool. The older ones have the thick section closer to the tip than the newer ones, causing the tool to not go in far enough. I don't have the specifications on hand, but you can find them if you do a search on alignment tool measurements. You may have to simply get a different alignment tool. I ran into this problem years ago when I replaced the engine on my first cruiser (which had an Alpha drive). The alignment tool I had wouldn't go in all the way; it was the wrong tool. Hy
 
Thanks Hy, but it is the right tool. As I mentioned earlier, I am even trying it with the driveshaft... still doesn't go in to where it should.
 
Are you using a clean coating of grease on the splines every time you insert it? The grease should reveal where one side is not contacting as much as the other side... then adjust the engine accordingly.
 
OHB, Been a while since you dropped in an engine. huh.[:P] The rear of the engine is mounted to the inner transom assm.

Sometimes it litterally takes days to align and sometimes you just get lucky.
 
OHB, what Charlie said... AFAIK, if the rear bolts can screw down the rear of the engine is aligned, assuming the lock nuts and fiber washers are in place, which they are.

RickD, yes new grease every time, but at only a half inch in, it doesn't help much.

I have a socket the same size as the part of the alignment toolthat fits in the splines, which I have on a long extension, when/if it ever stops raining here, I will be out to see if that stops 1/2 inch also. If it does, I know there is something in the splines stopping me.

Thanks, Richard
 
Richard: Can you get your fingers into the splines to feel for burrs, possibly from inside the engine bay? You can try using a long, narrow file to 'clean up; each of the spline teeth. Its time-consuming, but does eliminate any burrs. Realistically, all you need is one small burr to block the tool's movement. If you're going to try the socket, make sure you securely tape the socket to the extension with electrical tape. You dont'd want the socket to slip off and get stuck in the coupler! The gimbal bearing 'floats' a bit in its race. Try inserting the alignment tool and slapping the bearing around a bit by striking the various sides of the tool with a rubber mallet. Never use a heavy hammer. Keep us posted, please. Good luck. Hy
 
I don't know why I would have done this, but did you perchance do trial fits among Coupler, Drive Shaft and Alignment Tool while the Engine was out? If fit was difficult then it'll be worse now. If it was easy then you know you have a problem now.

And I'm scared about leaving that socket stuck in the coupler too! Think I'd double-nut it to a piece of 1/2" threaded rod...
 
"OHB, Been a while since you dropped in an engine. huh. The rear of the engine is mounted to the inner transom assm."

I know that but the engine was removed and bolted back in place. I still suggest loosening the housing bolta and giving it a try. If it slides in tighten the bolts in proper sequence and see if the tool still slides freely.
 
Any chance of sliding in a tiny inspection cam to check for spline or other obstruction before you try too hard with the alignment tool? The relatively inexpensive one I have would work as a small-dia. spark plug hole borescope, so it should fit OK & has internal lighting.

For non- I/O owners who are wondering about all this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-g6fFYtDLw

(Happily I never had to do the alignment way back when I had a couple I/O boats.)
 
All set guys, thanks for all the tips/advice... after a little filing, a little tapping, a little turning of the engine, up and down adjustment of the engine, I finally got the tool to go in relatively easy... spline marks all the way around the tool, full insertion. Just covered her up for the winter. Thank you all again!!!

Richard
 
Glad to hear it. Frustration is sometimes part of working on boats and cars. Hope you have a mild winter. Hy
 
Thanks Hy, but if these last few days are any indication of what's to come, I can't see it being mild. But, that's just the pessimist in me...lol. BTW, the frustration just makes me try harder.

Alien, no, I did not want to do anything to the old shaft. It is in perfect condition.
 
Somehow I don't think the winters in Rhode Island are ever mild. I was up there once, when I was a college freshman, to help induct a new chapter into the high school fraternity to which I belonged. At that time I was a minor officer in the national administration of the fraternity. I remember the scenery being gorgeous and the air being cold as can be (it was over the Christmas break from college). One of these days we'll get up there for a vacation. Stay warm, my friend. Hy
 
Back
Top