Gas tank flushing

ALKA2710

Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
RO Number
25407
Messages
670
Can a gas tank that has been submerged on a boat where salt water has entered thru the vent be flushed to be used again.
Al
 
sure. You need to put some Kerosine or Diesel in there and swish it around pretty good though.

How long was is submerged? Long enough to rust on the outside of the Tank?

There are people with Cameras you can look into that tank with. Contact a Sewer guy. He has a good one.
 
I've had a tank flushed to get crud out of it. I'm sure the same people could purge a tank of any substance.
 
IIRC, there is a person on BE who does tank flushing for a living. Absolute(?) Maybe he'll chime in.
 
We have had our share of sunken boats since the economy went south. Seems that the poor were sinking them or repo'd and the rich were buying them up.

A good tank cleaning can usually get you back on the water.
 
There is a local company on Long Island that does tank cleaning. I might have a card or number somewhere. Let me know if you want me to look for it.
 
Its a 105 gal tank, plastic. Was trying to decide if I was going to fight with surveyor over replacing new. Water got in thru vent. Thanks for the replies.
Al
 
Plastic tank? I'd certainly keep it and just have it cleaned.
 
Still not sure. I have the insurance company sending the surveyor back this week and I will be there this time. They did an unverified estimate and left off a ton of stuff. The dealer is also working with me. We figure another 15 to 20 grand in damage. I have an agreed value of 85 and an estimate for 60 in damage already. If they dont total it and I get close to 80 in insurance I might walk away from it and see if I can sell it for scrap. We will see. Travelers did a horrible job with this. They left prices out for fiberglass work and did not verify half the prices.
Al
 
Wow! Seems like the gas tank is one of the smaller problems. Sorry to hear 'bout your boat. This also isn't the first post I've seen about Travelers. I'll make a note to keep clear of them!
 
When a boat goes down in salt water, it is what you don't see that rears it's ugly head and cause 'mayhem'.....
 
Back
Top