Installing a Rudder Indicator Project -- NEED PICS

DogDaze

Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2007
RO Number
27009
Messages
675
Does anyone have an ER picture handy that may show your rudder indicator install location??
Typical for a Rudder Indicator or Auto Pilot setup.. I have this indicator:

29897-1-lg.jpg
wum3xxsjg5qii3im93os.jpg


and these rudder shaft arms:
dhymhrytl8es7d9kzqgc.jpg


So, I assume I'll need to drill/tap into the rudder arm..
just looking for a few ideas of how others have been done using this sending unit, placement etc.

I almost wonder if I could tie it to the 'tie-bar' between the 2 rudder arms?
(which, btw are not actually straight forward when the rudder is.. they kinda point inward towards each other)

I was hopeful the rudder shaft's were longer, as I was thinking this would work:
zbqe0g1abw3t47cgrrjh.jpg

Maybe a little overkill, but I thought a nice installation.
Unfortunately, I don't have this option, but was looking for similar ideas or installs.

btw, the jumper cables seen in my ER pic
are no longer stored in that location.

Thank you in advance. -j
 
quote:

Originally posted by DogDaze

So, I assume I'll need to drill/tap into the rudder arm.





I think you could clamp something to the arm and attach the sender arm to the clamp. One thing that comes to mind is the clamp electricians use on ground rods so they can attach a ground wire.
 
I agree, (Im an electrician)

yhst-18711434844524_2235_63527064


Its called a water pipe ground clamp. Available at any electrical supply house, Home Depot, and Lowes. Clamp it to the rudder tie bar anywhere.
 
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your notes.. and the ideas. Now that I look at it, I think that will work fine on that tie-bar too. (so as to keep things linear) I'm hopeful to put it behind the tie-bar (if possible) so as to help keep it out of the way of being accidentally stepped on... I'll just have to get over and get some placement & measurement info.. & then the fun part of getting the wire up to the helm.. sheesh!!

Still looking for a couple pics if anyone happens across one or 2.. as I'm curious to see what others have setup.. -j
 
I used a hose clamp and it works perfectly although the pipe ground clamp looks more robust.
 
the gnd rod clamps i use are somekind of a brass metal so proper bonding is recommended
 
What's cool about the IPS is it's standard to have rudder indicator to know where IPS drives are.
Pretty neat to watch it when you use joystick!
Can't wait to play!
 
quote:

Originally posted by CurrentSea

What's cool about the IPS is it's standard to have rudder indicator to know where IPS drives are.
Pretty neat to watch it when you use joystick!
Can't wait to play!




Yea, I'll bet it's all over the place while docking... I wonder which pod they monitor? (or both?)

You're gonna have a TON of fun w/this boat Dave... The 40' Regal we were on at the Cedar Point in water boat show last year was awesome... Not only did it flat out move, but she cornered & felt like a 18'er. The then backed her down to trawler speed and watched the fuel burn drop to near nothing... It was a crazy number & very efficient at that slower speed. :)
 
quote:

Originally posted by CurrentSea

What's cool about the IPS is it's standard to have rudder indicator to know where IPS drives are.
Pretty neat to watch it when you use joystick!
Can't wait to play!






I've only seen the rudder position Indicator function when docking mode (joystick) is off...?
 
quote:

Originally posted by realrez

the gnd rod clamps i use are somekind of a brass metal so proper bonding is recommended






They will be clamped to a metal rod and they are not in the water so no bonding wire is necessary.
 
Back
Top