Leaking

deltabighat

Member
exMember
Joined
Aug 17, 2004
RO Number
14904
Messages
493
I have a 24ft Trophy that is taking on a little water but only when under way. If the bilge is dry when I tie up for the night, it is still dry a day or two later, however, when I am out running a couple hours, I get water in the bilge....nothing serious, but puzzling just the same....ideas?

DBH
 
check your rub rail seams, broken thru hull fitting, livewells,baitwells, etc.
 
Assuming this is an outboard, a few possibilities ....:

Backwash into leak at the motorwell, including the cable chase,
Spray onto deck/sole draining down into the bilge,
Anchor rode locker hawsepipe taking water if you have one,
Bilge pump hull outlets allowing water ingress ( no upward loops?),
Leaky livewell or pump hose or thruhull (loose clamps, broken plastic drain thruhull hose barb...),
Leaky gunwale/deck to hull joint,.....
...?
 
Does your speedometer work? A disconnected speedo hose carries water...

Since I/O, engine source?

Lotsa alternate sources. Anything that gets wet can ( and eventually will ) leak. Hull join is worth a look at ( as already suggested )
 
One more thought: On the inside of your transom check the nuts on the bolts that hold the O/D on. If one gets just a bit loose the torque of your O/D while underway or when its in trimmed down can cause a small amount of water seepage.
 
Reading the above posts makes me think check any device that penetrates the hull or leads to the bilge.
How about the anchor locker drain is it free from debris?
Bill
 
Should be more specific about outdrive. Alpha has drive mounted raw water pump. Bravo has engine mounted raw water pump.

It determines where the pressure side of the raw water system starts...and where to look for leaking because it sounds like the amount of water is coming from the cooling system.

ALSO, FWC or RAW water.
 
quote:

Originally posted by deltabighat

It's a 5.7 I/0......






Two different friends with that engine had a plug on the head rust out and leak water when the engine was running.

The plug is threaded into a hole in the head that looks like it would connect to a temperature sender or something similar. The pug had a recessed square hole for installing and removing.

Just a thought, it could be any number of things.
 
I would suspect the steering shaft seal this is a big deal if left too long. Look under the engine when the boat is sitting and see if you have a constant drip behind the engine. I had my transom assemblies rebuilt 5 years ago when the boat was 8 years old and they said we caught it just in time. If it's left to leak too long the steering shaft rusts and the housing where the seal sits corrodes away so that a new seal will not seat properly. The best thing to do is look and listen when the boat is at rest and you will find it.
Rob
 
quote:

Originally posted by Brite Idea

I would suspect the steering shaft seal



That seal will leak when at the dock/anchored. Since the OP stated his bilge takes on water while only underway, that seal should not be the problem.
 
Yeah I read it and didn't let it sink in, sorry. The underway leaking could be the circulating water pump but we need more info, what year and drive?
Rob
 
We know it leaks when underway but not sitting overnight at the dock. How about sitting at the dock with the engine running? This information can tell us if the leak is coming from the engine or not.
 
Re-caulking the rub rail seam resolved a similar problem on my 1998 Glastron GS 185 Ski & Fish.
 
Sounds like the leaking happens quickly while under way. Deck/hull joint leak usually takes time to reach the bilge, especially if there is carpet.
 
Back
Top