lower cable

memaw777

Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2004
RO Number
15246
Messages
131
I have a 1978 mercruiser 260 hp 350 engine replaced lower shift cable I have all the instructions but can't seem to get it adjusted right If I get foward right when I go out of reverse I have to go past nuetral to get nuetral if I get reverse right then forward has the same problem. have to go past nuetral to get nuetral.
 
Sounds like you're over adjusting.

Always start off in neutral on the remote shift.(engine off) Go to rev and turn prop counter-clockwise. You should feel and hear the ratcheting of the dog clutch. Remember the amount of ratcheting. Now shift into forward and tun prop clockwise. The trick is to get the ratcheting equal in both forward and reverse. The adjustment is the barrel nut of the lower shift cable.
 
yes i have been adjusting the barrel but can not get nuetral in both directions one or the other has to go past nuetral to get it. could it be inthe other cable
 
If I recall correctly there is an intermediate lever where the lower shift cable attaches, as well as the cable from the control box. The attachment point for the end of the lower cable, not the barrel, is on the lever. That attachment can be adjusted to move closer to, or farther away, from the pivot point of the lever. You need to adjust it away from the pivot point. That will give a longer throw on the lower cable, from the same movement of the control box. Hope that helps.
eric
 
Yup! Eric has it. It's part of the reverse cut-out switch that prevents the drive from lifting out of the water in reverse and you give it power.

The shift adjustment there is in the slot and where you tighten the cable end to...as Eric stated. If you're not over adjusting, do as Eric said and move the anchor point a little further away from the pivot point.

but as I stated earlier, you have to start the adjustment procedure in neutral and adjust to forward and reverse from there.
 
Back
Top