The high reving was only or a few seconds just to get through the backfiring, no more that 5 seconds. I'm sure I did no harm.
But, The engine is all fine now. I feel a bit of an idiot as I made a very silly mistake. I thought I was getting clever with engines, especially after swapping all ancillaries to my new long block. My mistake was that I had not lined up the distributor cap notch with the distributor housing notch (it isn't very noticable), but this would have unset the timing as it would not have adjusted at a higher rpm. I do feel a bit of a fool. But I do thank everyone who replied to my post, this is an excellent resource, packed with lots of knowledgable people who really want to help people like me - so thank you so so much. I'm sure I will be needing your help soon enough.
Actually, I have noticed that my exhaust bellows have come off having just put it on - is the exhaust bellows expander tool any good?
But, The engine is all fine now. I feel a bit of an idiot as I made a very silly mistake. I thought I was getting clever with engines, especially after swapping all ancillaries to my new long block. My mistake was that I had not lined up the distributor cap notch with the distributor housing notch (it isn't very noticable), but this would have unset the timing as it would not have adjusted at a higher rpm. I do feel a bit of a fool. But I do thank everyone who replied to my post, this is an excellent resource, packed with lots of knowledgable people who really want to help people like me - so thank you so so much. I'm sure I will be needing your help soon enough.
Actually, I have noticed that my exhaust bellows have come off having just put it on - is the exhaust bellows expander tool any good?