Problem with Rule bilge pump

That is pretty common. Spraying the pump with a water hose gets the water so aerated that the pump will not prime and/or gets air locked. If you had mentioned that before you could have saved us all a lot of head scratching. :-)
 
quote:

Originally posted by Gregory S

So, if the hole in the boat isn't too big and causing turbulaent flow, you're good to go?






Basically he is. A hole in the boat is not likely to be spraying right at the pump nor is it even likely to be located right near by the pump. So the water is much, much less likely to be aerated in the way it is coming out of a garden hose at high pressure.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Gregory S

So, if the hole in the boat isn't too big and causing turbulaent flow, you're good to go?






If the hole is big enough to cause a lot of turbulence, most likely the amount of water coming in is going to overwhelm the pump anyway.
My main concern was more when I was away from the boat and even a small amount of water coming in, activating my pump, pump not pumping and it keeps running until it kills my batteries.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

That is pretty common. Spraying the pump with a water hose gets the water so aerated that the pump will not prime and/or gets air locked. If you had mentioned that before you could have saved us all a lot of head scratching. :-)






When I first posted this thread, I had never connected the dots to realize the water hose might be the problem. Once I did come to that conclusion, I posted my thoughts immediately.
 
quote:

Originally posted by cwms

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Bill1

That is pretty common. Spraying the pump with a water hose gets the water so aerated that the pump will not prime and/or gets air locked. If you had mentioned that before you could have saved us all a lot of head scratching. :-)






When I first posted this thread, I had never connected the dots to realize the water hose might be the problem. Once I did come to that conclusion, I posted my thoughts immediately.








Hey, no big deal. I was just ribbing you a bit. :-)

Glad it was something simple.
 
Back
Top