Prop Replacement

MarkMuck

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
RO Number
362
Messages
264
We pulled props from our 99 Silverton inboard.
We had them rebalanced. Should I just put them back on? Do I need to grease or oil the shafts before I put them back on...? Thanks.
 
Put plenty of grease on the shafts. Be a lot easier when you take them off next time.
 
Instructions I recieved from the prop shop that did my prop scan did not suggest putting grease on the shaft, but they did specify that the props should be lapped to the shafts with valve grinding compound to allow them to seat correctly. Google inboard prop installation and you will see how easy this is to do correctly. Also make sure you get the correct prop on the correct side.
 
The only prop shafts I'd grease would be for O/B's & I/O's. You want the prop hub to fit as tightly as possible on the I/B shaft taper.

as per Gregory S' : here's Michigan Wheel's recommendation http://www.miwheel.com/uploads/resources/Inboard_Installation_Process.pdf

Check for what may be appropriate for nut tightening for your props and shafts, but I'd expect in the neighborhood of ~50 ft-lbs. torque.
 
I would not put any grease or lubricant on the tapered shaft or prop. Same with the coupling end. The taper is meant to provide the rotational thrust surface and you want no slippage. The major forces are not transmitted through the key, it is through the taper surface. This is totally different between IOs and outboards with a spline versus tapered shaft inboards. That is also why the lapping is done to get the best surface contact on the entire taper.
 
I've never put grease on an inboard tapered shaft. Outboards and I/O's with a splined shaft yes.
 
no oil, very clean and dry. That is a Morse taper of the type used in machine shops to hold cutting tools. An amazing technology, the taper fit transmits the torque not the key. Follow the key fitting directions carefully. Little nut first.
The most often mistake is the key interfering with the proper prop seating that's why you mark the shaft without the key.
 
Back
Top