Refrigerator efficiency? AC or DC?

bomikes48

Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2013
RO Number
33308
Messages
53
I have a ancient DE728 Norcold 2-way (12v or 110v) with the Japanese swing motor. Is it more efficient to run it off my 1000 watt Heart modified sine wave inverter or on DC? Thanks.
 
I assume that you means direct off batteries or off batteries via inverter.

then probably DC, every step in a system adds losses and modified sine wave means designed in losses due to the poor sine wave shape.
 
You also have the inveters own losses no inverter is 100% efficient. I geneally run my newer DE0061T on 110VAC when I'm playing Dock Mary when we leave the dock or boat I switch it to 12VDC operation in case we lose dock power. My solar panels and house bank can stand the load pretty much indefinately. The unit doesn't run colder on either DC or AC so there is no internal gain from using either supply.
I would think DC would be the most efficient power feed assuming your supply wires are properly sized.
Bill
 
Thanks for the responses. BillyIII mentions that his DE0061T doesn't run colder on either DC or AC. The reason I raised the initial question is because, on the hook, my DE728 is noisier on DC and the swing motor is noticeably hotter to the touch on DC. My vessel layout allows me to get my hand right on the rear components to check for heat and noise. I haven't really noticed any food compartment temperature differences between AC and DC. Thanks again.
 
Beer on ice in the YETI cooler. Food not needed for awhile in the refrigerator which is turned off. Will stay cold as long as we don't open the door. It also is how we defrost the ice compartment. Turn on hours later at a higher thermostat setting if food spoilage is a concern. OR if we fire up the genny.
 
Back
Top