quote:
Originally posted by CampionToba
I'm about to replace one of my exhaust manifolds on an old AQ260 V8. Any tips on how to not break any bolts etc? Should I do it when the engine is warm?
thanks
Chris
First - why only replace one manifold?
Anyway, I like to change the risers and manifolda in one shot, as pairs.
Only benefit to doing it while the engine is warm is if you want the extra heat from the engine to annoy you.
You should plan on using new hardware for the new manifold, so breaking the bolt is not a worry.
Take the two end bolts out first, then put long studs in their place. Finish removing bolts and slide manifold off over the two studs you put in. Remove studs and prep surface.
On the new manifold, make sure the surface is smooth and free of paint at all mating surfaces.
Depending on the gasket, will depend on if you use a sealer or not - follow manufacturers directions.
Now, using sealer on the new hardware is a long debated topic - EVERY manifold I have replaced, the directions have said NO sealer.
After you install and run the boat - re-tourque the hardware.
If you replace the riser (whcih you should), remove the riser and manifold in one shot - unless you want to look like a monkey humping a football trying to unbolt the riser.
I prepare the new riser and manifold on the becnh and bring to the boat to install - heavy as hell, but much easier.
Lastly, the manifold is heavy, prepare yourself for that when removing from engine.
Oh, do not forget to drain the system before starting!