- Joined
- Jul 27, 2001
- RO Number
- 5508
- Messages
- 1,256
so I finally got the boat into the water last week, was running perfect until all of the sudden sounded like rapid gun fire. Shut the boat down, and saw the remains of a spark plug attached to a free plug wire. I didn't have a chance yet to look at what was left behind in the head, but curious what I'm up against here.
I've known since I acquired this boat a couple of years ago that I had an issue; the exhaust manifold gasket was bad, and for some time must have been leaking seawater onto the head. Removing the rusted plugs wasn't much of an option; not only was it going to be impossible to get a socket on them, it wasn't even possible to see where the plugs ended, and the head began. To many other projects though, so I kept putting this one off.
I figure next winter I need to at least replace the head on the inboard side, if not more. But I'm curious if I have any short term options to get a few more hours out of this motor? Drill the hole out bigger, and put a heli-coil in? Does that ever work? Any suggestions how to get the rest of the plug out, ez-out? The plug remains I found in the bilge had no threads, so I assume that is still in the head.
I've known since I acquired this boat a couple of years ago that I had an issue; the exhaust manifold gasket was bad, and for some time must have been leaking seawater onto the head. Removing the rusted plugs wasn't much of an option; not only was it going to be impossible to get a socket on them, it wasn't even possible to see where the plugs ended, and the head began. To many other projects though, so I kept putting this one off.
I figure next winter I need to at least replace the head on the inboard side, if not more. But I'm curious if I have any short term options to get a few more hours out of this motor? Drill the hole out bigger, and put a heli-coil in? Does that ever work? Any suggestions how to get the rest of the plug out, ez-out? The plug remains I found in the bilge had no threads, so I assume that is still in the head.