Shurflo Smart Sensor Pump

Doc

Member
Member
Joined
May 2, 2005
RO Number
17228
Messages
533
I have the above 5 GPM fresh water pump on my boat. It cycles on every 15 seconds. Used to be every 4-5 minutes, Never has not done this since I have had the boat the last 6 months.

I cannot find a water leak. No water going to the bilge.

Can the pressure switch be replaced?

I have read several very bad reviews of this pump. What would be the best replacement?

Thanks
 
Yes the pressure switch is easy to get to at the top. Worth a try but make sure you don't have a leak somewhere, it could be a hose fitting outside even.

But also, when these pump cycle it could be debris in the valve block inside the pump. Open it up, it s just 5 screws. And check that water is not leaking past the diaphragm into the motor. I had this happen to two of these, I think cycling was the symptom.

Easiest Replacement would be the same non electronic pump. That s what I switched to on my boat and also for the back up pump on the boat I rum
 
I have had problems with mine as well do as Pascal suggests to check the diaphragm.
I ordered a rebuild kit for my spare pump. They are great when they work also check for leaks in your freshwater system.
Bill
 
One design flaw on these pumps at least the earlier ones was the lack of weep hole in the body. So any leak in the diaphragm (which does wear with use) results in water being forced up inside the motor
 
I am not ruling out a leak. This boat (like all later Albins) is 5 pounds of poop stuffed into a 4 pound bag. It is very difficult to see anything in the bilge.

Since the cycling is increasing I am hoping it will show its self by sight or sound. I would welcome a hiss.
 
To test hook a short length of hose to the pump out put and cap it ideally if you could use an adapter to 3/4 and hood up a garden hose with a nozzle this would be great. Turn on the pump and open the nozzle to bleed any air out then close the nozzle and wait to see if the pump continues to cycle if it does then you know it's in the pump and not a mystery leak somewhere.
 
AII,

Great idea. Thanks

Couldn't I just cap it off at the pump? It is a threaded connection.
 
You could but you need to make sure the air is bleed out of the pump 1st.
Bill
 
Thanks

I realized that right after I hit the post button.

I can't find my edit button anymore or I would have fixed it.
 
mine did the same thing, only it was an early one with no adjustment.

worked great when it was new !

eventually I tossed it.

no more variable speed pumps for me.

ever !
 
I have had one for 12 years I think. Works great. I find most problems with them stem from bad wiring to start with. They do not tolerate voltage drops.
 
Speaking of adjustment, I only found out yesterday that mine has an adjustment screw. I thought "great" and went down to the boat to see if that helped. Did not help. Still cycles every 30 seconds.

I now suspect a leak but have not had time to seriously hunt for it or to hook up a hose to the output side to see what is going on. Next week.
 
I think if it's cycling that fast then there is a leak. When everything is quiet at night I can hear mine cycle for a couple seconds. Then it won't do it for hours. I cannot find a leak in my system. I'm starting to suspect the pressure switch.
 
quote:

Originally posted by GeeBee

I have had one for 12 years I think. Works great. I find most problems with them stem from bad wiring to start with. They do not tolerate voltage drops.






There are many factors causing voltage drops besides bad wiring. For instance, the battery charger changing mode will cause a voltage change, or someone turning on a bunch of lights, etc
 
Back
Top