Spark Plug Question

Had a Bosch plug drop its "nose" (center electrode and part of the porcelain). Fortunately the ground electrode caught the piece and it didn't fall into the cylinder. All it did was run bad. This was on a Ford product and I bought a set of Motorcraft.
The other Bosch that broke left the threads (with ground electrode attached) in the head on a small block MoPar engine. There was the rest of the plug, all the way to the center electrode, hanging from the cable. And I could see straight to the hole. Fluted extractor, square socket to fit it, extension and ratchet. Hammer to tap it in place. Backed right out and I put a used plug from my scrap colletion in there. Very happy neighbor but I don't know if the rest of the set got changed or not. But I changed, and took Bosch off my good list.
 
I have Autolites now installed on mine, per the mechanic. Autolite's website was pretty easy to walk through and find the right one for my Crusaders, but the ACDelco, I can't figure out the replacement or what to put in. Autolite has a marine drop down and Crusader, amongst others, are listed.
 
Long away and far ago when I worked on cars the plug story was the same. Champs were OK for fords but in GM they caused problems.. At this point I don't remember if it was myth or fact but I am amazed the same story continues.
 
Back in the day I always ran Champion spark plugs in my GM products. Never had a problem and never heard of any reason not to. It was only natural to run Champion's in my boat. It would take a special type of person to have a spark plug fail in a way that could destroy an engine and then just replace that plug with the same brand name. The plugs I had fail (one blew out of the shell and another was found loose) were the Champion Marine plugs. Maybe the stainless steel shell or something else peculiar to the marine plugs caused the problem.
 
I'm not a mechanic so I cant say one way or the other, but I would take the advice of your mechanic, who should have some knowledge on the subject. After all, that's why you hired him...
 
quote:

Originally posted by carver 2557

I'm not a mechanic so I cant say one way or the other, but I would take the advice of your mechanic, who should have some knowledge on the subject. After all, that's why you hired him...





Unlike doctors or lawyers, anyone can call himself (or herself) a "mechanic". There are certainly many good or great mechanics out there, but there are also some real "hacks".

It can be hard to tell the difference.
 
Like Riverrat, I always used Champions doing tune-ups and oil changes starting 1960. Got to use the
forklift to pick up the front end to make oil changes easier.[:P]
 
Mid-1960s, I bought a set of Champs for my 59 Impala. Did my Plugs/Points/Condenser tuneup and it just didn't run right. Couldn't be the plugs, they were new, right? New plug wires, same problem. New cap/rotor, same problem. A shipmate had me take the plugs out and he took them to his buddy's gas station where they had an old timey plug cleaner. This one had a high voltage source and view window. Under air pressure, half the set wouldn't fire! Their quality control wasn't good. Still isn't? Don't know, but I generally don't buy them anymore.
 
Back
Top