Stick Steering?

Thudpucker

Active member
Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
RO Number
10503
Messages
3,677
Have any of you guys with small boats made your own Stick Steering that worked?

Did you buy a good one that worked?
 
Both the canoes I rigged (electric) had side mounted stick steering, and it worked/works just fine. Also every Florida airboat I've ever seen had stick steering, including the one I owned (500cid) for a couple years. It's much quicker than wheel steering and handles more like a tiller. The side stick is more convenient in situations where a wheel might get in the way.

Every rig I've seen had it on the port side (seems to be convention), I guess to leave your right hand free for whatever.

The airboats of course have rudders. It might not work so well with a big outboard or outdrive because of the torque feedback. However if the motor is safe to use with a tiller, it's probably OK for a stick.
 
Mud boats have stick steering but not cable.
 
I was thinking of making a Hydraulic assembly. Manual Hydraulic steering.
The stick would operate the front Cylinder, to force the Rear Cylinder. Stainless lines between the cylinders.
 
I think you're overthinking it Thud. Both pistons will have to be double-acting, and also need a reservoir, etc.
etc.

My airboat had a simple pushrod made out of electrical conduit. Most of them use a double-ended steering cable. My canoes use a standard Teleflex throttle/shift cable (doesn't take much to turn an electric motor).
 
I had a 32' Chris Craft that had Rods similar to Conduit. You couldn't make that thing go in a straight line for love nor money.
That's when I came up with the idea of double acting hydraulic pistons. Two, double action pistons, Stainless tubing and a resivour is exactly what I had in mind WIlly.
 
Launches of old had sticks. probably cable but why make it complicated a rod to a quadrant or lever on the rudder would do fine. Cable steering can be made for wire and pulleys from HD.
 
Yeah I had an old Chris that wouldn't go straight either, till I replaced all the bolts/pins in the linkage. Some of them were rusted to 1/4 the original diameter, with resulting slop. Once it was tightened up, it steered like a dream.
 
I like Bruce's idea. I believe the Rod & Quadrant would be light and positive for a small boat and last for a heckuva long time.
I sometimes wish I still had that old CC, bad steering and all.
 
Back
Top