Tachometer

Knot again 2

Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2013
RO Number
33406
Messages
2
I have a 2001 392 Silverton with a 8.1 I'm having a problem with my starboard tachometer. It works fine at dock, but once underway the tachometer slowly goes down to zero. The engine runs fine, I replaced the tachometer but still have the same problem. Any ides?
 
It could be a poor ground but that could be anywhere so start at the batteries. I would also check and clean the engine block grounding. The connections on your ignition switch could also be dirty.
Rob
 
I checked all the connections .I will jump the power and ground from my port tach this weekend thanks
 
You might also look at the back of the tach and, after carefully noting the pulse settings on the little rotary setting device, rotate it back & forth a few times to clean corrosion off the internal contacts. A little corrosion could cause resistance, causing heat and more resistance. Be sure to reset to correct pulse setting though. The tach manufacturers usually suggest this as a 1st step when customers have tach problems.
 
Back
Top