- Joined
- Jan 1, 2000
- RO Number
- 2904
- Messages
- 279
I'm trying to help my dad out before he takes off on vacation. His boat was running warmer than it should and if he rev'd the engine, it would bring it down some. It's an '86 MerCruiser Alpha I.
Anyway, I pulled the thermostat and put it into a pan of water and heated the water to see if it opens. It's a 140 degree thermostat and it did begin to open around 140 but was not fully open until around 170 or so. At what point does a thermostat begin to open based on its temperature rating and when would it be fully open?
We're hoping it's not the impeller since he's short on time.
Thanks
Anyway, I pulled the thermostat and put it into a pan of water and heated the water to see if it opens. It's a 140 degree thermostat and it did begin to open around 140 but was not fully open until around 170 or so. At what point does a thermostat begin to open based on its temperature rating and when would it be fully open?
We're hoping it's not the impeller since he's short on time.
Thanks