Today's Project - MerCruiser/Teleflex Steering

j-d

Active member
Joined
Nov 22, 2004
RO Number
15782
Messages
3,366
We hadn't run the boat for a couple months. Started right up but steering was STIFF. I ordered a new cable (Teleflex SSC134xx series) before doing any troubleshooting since cable had caused stiff steering 7 seasons ago. When I disconnected the cable from the outdrive and spun the wheel, it really seemed free. Pulled old cable out and it didn't seem all that sticky compared with the new one but when I installed the new one, that light fingertip effort was back. So... if you have stiff steering on a MerC with Teleflex rack&pinion, it's likely the cable. Tool list: 7/16 Socket to remove rack from helm, Needle Pliers to remove cotter pin from cable clevis pin at outdrive, 7/8 open end to hold Shuttle Valve (where cable attaches) and 1-1/8 open end to tighten nut at cable end. Remember, the 7/8 wrench flats must be VERTICAL when assembly is complete.
 
I had that trouble in AK after a frozen winter.
I pulled the cable loose at both ends, hooked it up to an electric drill and rotated it slowly as I forced a light grease into the Lube port till it came out the other end.
No problems in the next four years after that.
 
JD...Excellent post!!! That's what BE sounded like when I started on here. Get more sounding like that and I may have to anchor up again.
I can here Thud now "Now you tell me".
 
My steering issue at the end of the season was a bit more severe. I had noticed some slop in the steering during the season and planned on addressing it over the winter. Well, in September the slop suddenly became no steering at all. Fortunately we were only about 300 yrds from our dock. A neighbor towed me to our ramp and we got it on the trailer. Before tearing things apart I ordered a new helm and cable kit. Replacing everything took no special tools and only about 90 minutes of work, all done solo. The only glitch is that the kit they ship comes equipped for a wheel that's mounted at a 90 deg angle from the dash; my wheel is at a set angle (not a tilt wheel) otherwise it would be in my lap. The instructions said I could order an adapter kit for about $20 plus shipping. Well, for the cost of some spacers (SS washers) and 2 longer SS screws (the cost was actually $0 since I had them already) I was able to get the wheel at the right angle without their adapter kit. After I was finished I busted open the old helm and found the teeth on both gears stripped.... well, it did last 24 years so I can't complain!
 
Thuddie, I neglected to say that this steering is Teleflex's Rack and Pinion. The Helm is nothing but a shaft on a couple nylon bushings with a little gear/sprocket (the Pinion) on it. The Rack is a long toothed flat affair inside a metal case. The push/pull cable is attached to it so there's no getting at both ends. I'm not sure if the core will spin inside the casing or not. At any rate, I can only access one end of the cable. With the "rotary" helm systems (cable end comes in one end and out the same side), it's easier to work the core. What with having to dig the cable out, I wasn't going to go back in with anything but a new one.
Mikee, I think I had to re-use an instrument panel bracket to get the right angle. Not sure if it was on the I/O SeaRay we have now or the old Wellcraft I replaced the cable in also. On the Wellcraft, the helm had to be replaced. The cable'd been so sticky I broke a tooth off of its pinion/sprocket/gear trying to get it to move.
 
Thanks J-D. My unit was Mercruiser and I got both ends of the cable loose kinda easily.
The first time I did that was on the Throttle cable. I used white Waterproof grease.
Bad news there. That stuff froze and I had to wait till the Thaw came to use it. So when I did the Steering cable I did my throttle cable too.
I think I used a thin version of Bearing grease. Might have been Lithium based?
 
j-d, mine is a Wellcraft so it sounds like a similar failure. The complete helm and cable kit was only about $100 and not a difficult R&R so it was a pretty easy and painless job as boat repairs go.
 
I think the Wellcraft had TFlex's "Big-T" which really wasn't much of a piece of hardware. Replaced it with their "NFB 4.2" system. I liked the fact that it was No-Feed-Back (Helm could steer Motor but Motor couldn't steer Helm) although I didn't like the feel it had coming off center when I could feel it de-clutching the NFB feature before it steered. It worked well and steered easily. Too easily in a way - I didn't like the 4.2 ratio, liked the original 3.something better. The new helm seemed slow.
 
I installed the Teleflex Safe-T QC Rotary Steering Kit. Fit like an exact replacement with the "adjustment" I had to make for the helm angle.
 
Back
Top