Vintage Evinrude 2 stroke oil

froggy3k

Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2001
RO Number
4247
Messages
437
Well, I'm the new owner of a '77 Evinrude 85 hp on the back of a 19'er. I've been out of the 2 stroke world since the early 80's (other than a 20 hp on a dink). Went to Wally World and bought their Super Tech brand that does have the TC-W3 designation. Works fine. Why are other oils so expensive? Maybe on a 300 yammy (edit, they're 4 strokes, doh!) I'd go for something else but I'm mixing my own at 50:1. Should I stay with the cheap stuff or is there a benefit for QuickSilver or the other brands. I don't mind the smoke and short of diesel exhaust, this is my second favorite. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find in the search.
Thanks!!
 
Welcome back to the 2 stroke club. Ill never own an outboard that isnt a two stroke. Dont care how many times it needs to be rebuilt.

Ive run many OMCs over the years and Ive always used Quicksilver oil. Nothing really special about it. Picked it up one day like it, and never went back for another brand.
 
Benn using Pennzoil on my Johnson 150. Cheaper than quicksilver, but does smoke a little, only until it warms up. Then both are the same to me. As long as it has the TC-W3 certification, you should be good to go.
 
All I do is outboards. Had a Johnson 3 cyl 60 hp that had a variable ratio oil system which was dismantled by previous owner. TC3 is the designation and yes all oils with that on them meet the standard... meet it! I have found differences with OB oils and I say the following... Castrol works very well, Yamalube works extremely well in most motors, the red OMC(Bomnardier) stuff worked very well and the only one I had trouble with was called Nautilus by Esso, not sure if that one is available in the U.S. but there was a marked difference using that one... I always run all my motors at 40 to one ratio and have never had a problem with any of them... you should never run one at 100 to one no matter what the sticker on the side of the motor indicates... oil is cheap, overhauls are not... and rowing back, well that just plain old sucks...
 
There are reports of damge from ethanol gas
 
Many thanks all! Guess I'll stay with the stuff I'm getting for a fairly decent price. Made in USA to boot. Just can't see spending more for synthetic or the more expensive stuff. Usually about $8 a gallon higher.
Graeme-Esso? I thought they switched to Exxon back in the early 80's or late '70s. Showing my age. I may try the 40:1.
PD, My plan is to stay with non ethanol even though it costs more. I know my lawn equipment run better since switching.
Others, many thanks for your input! Greatly appreciated!!!
 
quote:

Originally posted by Cam

Benn using Pennzoil on my Johnson 150. Cheaper than quicksilver, but does smoke a little, only until it warms up. Then both are the same to me. As long as it has the TC-W3 certification, you should be good to go.






+1 I also use Pennzoil XLF synthetic blend on my 2000 Johnson 150
 
Back
Top