Water Heater leaking from back

Newbie509

Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
RO Number
30359
Messages
105
I just splashed in and went to commission my water system and noticed a pretty good leak coming out of the back of my water heater. It is an Atwood 6 gallon but I can't get in far enough to see what might be the problem. There are two hoses running to the back of it and I'm not sure what they are. I am assuming they are for water going in and out (duh don't know). Could this be a fitting problem over the winter or might it be that the water heater is shot (rotted out). The boat is a 87 Sea Ray EC. There is so much stuff in the way like air conditioner, and exhaust hoses that I can't get back in to look. Do I have to take it out to see if the problem is a fitting or the heater itself? Help!
 
Is valve open?
Sometimes they open valve to drain it.
Use a mirror or camera to take pics.
 
They last about 15 years, rust out and then start to leak. You're going to have to get to the back of it somehow to see what's up. Did you winterize the system yourself? If so, how did you do it?
 
I emptied it and by passed it so I wouldn't have to fill it up with 6 gallons of antifreeze. Never had a problem in the past 5 years.
 
I'm thinking it might be a leaking or open high pressure blow off valve.
Bill
 
On my 87 sda34 the two hoses going to the back were for heat exchanger. Fittings rusted out about 8 yrs ago. My tank is in aft cabin below headboard, can only imagine on ec. Probably best to replace hoses too and be sure to clean and re-connect bond wire.
 
Just getting in there I will have to be a contortionist. Brutal, might have the yard do this one. Hopefully, it's an easy fix; meaning not have to replace the water heater or should I whole they are down there?
 
If it's the original tank, it's on borrowed time.
 
You will have to pull it it out to fix what ever is wrong anyway so grab your wrenches and some beers and dig in. Pull it out.
 
I had an '84 34EC. You had to pull an engine to remove the water heater. As a matter of fact, when I re-powered in 2003, they replaced the water heater as "preventative maintenance" at the same time.
 
If I had to guess I would say it is the original tank. Time for a new one, eh?
 
I would try and reach back there and check the high pressure relief valve, when I winterize mine I bypass it, drain the heater and crack the high pressure valve open leaving it that way until I hook it back up in the Spring.
I can't imagine a boat needing to have the engine pulled to replace the hotwater heater. I guess its possible. I think I would get one of those inspection mirrors to see around the back of the heater. Otherwise get your mechanic to check to see what the problem is with the heater leaking.
Bill
 
What were the engineeers (and I use that title loosely) thinking when they designed a boat that requires one to pull the engine to replace the water heater?
 
If the water heater has to be replaced I would try a cordless reciprocating saw and remove it as scrap. See if there isn't a better place to put the new one.
 
Or just abandon it where it is and add a new one somewhere.
 
It is located on the port side in the aft section of the boat. The airconditioner and exhaust hose is the only thing in the way.
 
I don't understand, if you can get to it to winterize why can't you get to it now?
 
quote:

Originally posted by mdoherty

I don't understand, if you can get to it to winterize why can't you get to it now?






Because last Friday was National Donut Day.
 
Back
Top