Water heater smell

kats eye

Member
exMember
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
RO Number
23797
Messages
31
I have a Seaward 11 gallon water heater that started to smell. Can some one tell me were to find the anode I think it is a peace on the cold water in let or is that a check valve?
 
It seems rather odd that use of a protective sacrificial anode in that heater requires replacing the drain valve with it in the same hole.
 
Are you sure you even have anode? When I installed a new water heater from that manufacturer, it didn't have one. They gave a recommendation under what circumstances it should/could be be added.
 
Easy to know for sure just by checking for presence of that drain valve or no.
 
If the drain tap is still there---no anode. Water in the hot water tank can smell like rotten eggs if not used enough and has nothing to do with an anode.
 
Try a cap full of bleach in the water tanks that should get rid of the odor.
Bill
 
I've had smelly hot water in the past. I'm on a trailer and did not fully heat up the water with the portable generator. Once I got the water up to temperature the smell went away. I now make a point to get the water heater fully hot when I prep it for use for the boating season.
 
Back
Top