Water Pump Replacement

Naut Home

Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2008
RO Number
30670
Messages
134
I am looking for some advice for a replacement water pump for my Carver 356. The present one is still working but I would like a new one. My main requirements would be a pump that's very quiet and provides even flow and pressure at all times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians!
 
As far as I know they all make SOME noise, but the way they are mounted makes a big difference in what you hear. For a smooth, even flow you want a good reservoir. Mine is a 2 gal "expansion tank" and we hardly notice when the pump finally does come on.
 
+1 on placement. I had mine moved for ease of access reasons. I can barely hear it now. It's a sureflo.
 
Thanks Bill. I will look into the Whale pumps. Any suggestions on pump placement? Mine is currently mounted to a stringer in the engine compartment. My pump noise seems to reverberate through out the entire boat.
 
Mine was on the bulkhead butting to the aft berth and reverberated as well. Now it is under the seat aft of the helm. I moved it there to be able to get to the filter easier. The noise reduction was a plus.
 
Make sure all fasteners go through rubber grommets and there is a layer of closed cell foam rubber between the base and final mounting surface.
The tighter the fasteners are secured , the more noise transmitted... so keep it slightly loose.
Some even go to the trouble of mounting a separate mount board just like that to the boat surface, then repeating with the pump mounted with more foam rubberto that stand-off board for double/triple vibration attenuation.
 
Mounting the pump. Ensure that it is mounted on a hard surface and tieghten the screws down to a point that does not compress the rubber feet. Next your connection to the plumbing system should be via a flexible hose hot a hard hose. Also check all hard hose to ensure that it mounted security. Most pump noise conducted through the pipes. My new universal whale has a little chatter but that is a result of not opening the faucet fully. Bill
 
All awesome suggestions. My wife is going to think I'm a genuine miracle worker if this works. Thanks!
 
Back
Top