- Joined
- Jan 3, 2009
- RO Number
- 30972
- Messages
- 2,127
On my Cat 3126 motors my new Port motor is running perfect at 185. Which according to the service manual is right where it should be as the manual says 165-198F. And the overtemp alarm sounds and shuts down at 220F However.....
My Starboard motor had an issue last fall with the regulator sticking open. (I know, better than sticking closed). So I pulled out my parts manual and ordered the new regulator (7C-2190) from Cat and installed. The motor was running right at 200F last fall and while I did not give it much consideration at the time, I did think it might be a bit high. Well fast forward to this weekend and when I ran the boat Friday it warmed up to 205F and stayed there. Idle, WOT, did not make a difference. So I went back to do a little research on what I did.
According to the part number in my service manual and parts manual the thermostat for my motors is a 207F thermostat. So I am thinking that can not be right. I went to Boat Diesel and there seems to be conflicting info there as well in that they say the 207F regulator is correct. However there are a number of posts that people think temps of 205F are to high yet a few posters also have also said it is normal. Searching a few other websites including the CAT forum leads to the same thing.
I am just not comfortable with running it at that temp all the time. My thought is to either pull the thermostat on the port motor and get the part number off of it or just order the 180F thermostat from CAT.
So my question is, what temp do your CATs run at? And do you know what regulator you have?
My Starboard motor had an issue last fall with the regulator sticking open. (I know, better than sticking closed). So I pulled out my parts manual and ordered the new regulator (7C-2190) from Cat and installed. The motor was running right at 200F last fall and while I did not give it much consideration at the time, I did think it might be a bit high. Well fast forward to this weekend and when I ran the boat Friday it warmed up to 205F and stayed there. Idle, WOT, did not make a difference. So I went back to do a little research on what I did.
According to the part number in my service manual and parts manual the thermostat for my motors is a 207F thermostat. So I am thinking that can not be right. I went to Boat Diesel and there seems to be conflicting info there as well in that they say the 207F regulator is correct. However there are a number of posts that people think temps of 205F are to high yet a few posters also have also said it is normal. Searching a few other websites including the CAT forum leads to the same thing.
I am just not comfortable with running it at that temp all the time. My thought is to either pull the thermostat on the port motor and get the part number off of it or just order the 180F thermostat from CAT.
So my question is, what temp do your CATs run at? And do you know what regulator you have?