Wiper Control

knuckelbuster

Member
Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2011
RO Number
32472
Messages
14
I have an on/off wiper control. Is there an after market control that I can install to make the wiper intermittent?

Thanks!
 
Look in the boating catalogs but if your wipers aren't self parking, they will stop just anywhere and block your line of sight.
 
I looked for an intermittent control and found the Imtra control won't work with my motors since I have self parking motors. I did the next best thing. I added a momentary switch in parallel with my wiper switches. I located those switches close to the throttles so I could tap them when I need some wiper activity. If I get a splash I just tap one or both switches for a single wipe and hold them down for more than one wipe.

I know that's not what you asked for but it's a low cost alternative without replacing motors.

Good luck with your project.
 
I wonder why they wouldn't work on self-parking wipers? You may well be correct but with or without the intermittent feature the dash switch would turn off the main power to the wipers and the secondary power supply to the wiper would complete the parking, no?

FWIW- Even more than intermittent function, I think I'd appreciate the addition of the available FW windshield squirters that tap into the boat's pressurized FW system to aid in wiping off dried salt. I think both the switches mentioned above can control a squirt function as well if desired, and Imtra and perhaps others have arms with wash accessory, or bulkhead (deck) spray nozzles. Instead of using a relatively small reservoir that needs refilling , some use the main FW tank and pump and incorporate a solenoid water valve similar to those on washing machines and ice makers. but DC (Imtra EX-SV1/4-12V Solenoid valve, 0.25", 12V ). But unfortunately , that is nowhere near the top of "boat-things to do."
 
Luckily, my boat came equipped with washers tied to the freshwater supply with a 12vdc solenoid.
 
I've been looking for a single-pole-double-throw switch that's momentary on-off-on and haven't found a suitable one. The push button in parallel is a good idea.
 
Most anchor windlasses use a DPDT switch. You can use one of those and just ignore the extra set of contacts.
 
The hard part is getting one that's momentary in one direction and stays on in the other.
 
If you like Carling rocker switches, you can pop open a (on)-off(on) switch, remove the springs from one end and make it a on-off-(on) switch.
 
Back
Top