Another Magic Potion for my holding tank.

bobalong

Active member
exMember
Joined
Oct 30, 2005
RO Number
19429
Messages
1,449
Visited West Marine while I was in Indy today.First time this year. Bought ODORLOS (SP) at the recommendation of some on here. After I recommission in the spring what should I expect from this new potion ?
40 gallon holding tank, vacuflush with the small factory installed single vent. Will odorlos hold odors down for a week ? Two weeks ? What about if it as hot as it was last summer ? Seems like I have tried many with little if any odor control. One flush while in our slip and spiders drop from the rafters, low flying birds fall from the sky, and grown men run, crying like sissies. My expectations should be . . . . .????
 
Make sure you rinse your tank out well before changing over to Odorlos.

Use as directed, you may get one stinky flush after it sits for a week, but otherwise you should be odor free.
 
Get rid of the vent filter, you don't need it if Odorlos is working properly.
 
Got no vent filter, but I will have if this stuff doesn't work :)
 
Sounds like you need a bigger vent, and/or need to be flushing a little more water through the system. You really shouldn't need a filter or Odorlos.
 
I've been using Odorlos for years. As mentioned above, you really have to rinse the old "blue stuff" type of chemical out of the tank befopre you see (or smell) any real improvements. Odorlos works differently than the formaldehyde based chemicals.

Bacteria in your holding tanks are living organisms that need energy to break down the waste. Eventually the bacteria run out of aerobic energy sources (air) and start feeding on the anaerobic sulfates in the waste - resulting in a foul odor: hydrogen sulfide.

The easiest way to be sure all the old chemicals are removed, is to pump out, fill with water, drive around to "slosh" things up a bit, and pump out again. Even with this, you might not see the improvement using ODORLOS, for a couple of more pump outs.

I have been using it for a few years, and have absolutely no odors from my holding tank vent.

"Nitrate treatments (as in ODORLOS) provide an interesting alternative. Oxygen is vital to bacteria in the process of breaking down organic waste. When little air is present (as in most holding tanks), bacteria derives the oxygen from sulfates in the waste, which produces hydrogen sulfide (stinky!) gas. When nitrates are introduced, they act as nutrients for the bacteria, providing an alternative source of oxygen, which results in the production of nitrogen (odorless) gas. Nitrates are environmentally friendly, and are ideal for systems with less ventilation. They speed up the breakdown process and reduce odors. The tank must be free of residuals from other products.

"
 
Well that certainly is a scientific explanation of why it should work. I am feeling the faith. Next pump out I'll do several flush and fills before adding odorlos and see what happens.
 
I have been using Odorlos for years as well. As others have said, you have to follow the directions and that means resisting the urge to pour chlorox or any other chemical down the head.

Important: - If you have a raw water flush head, you are bringing in plant and animal life with every flush. Let the head sit without flushing for a few days and these organizms will die and begin to decompose in the hose leading to the head and the water passages in the rim of the head.

The next time you flush, it's going to stink no matter what you've done to the holding tank, vents, etc. You can tell the difference because this stink will be inside the boat. Smell from the holding tank will be outside where the vent is. Also, it will be worse when the water is warm and contains more living organizms.

A filter on the incoming water supply near the seacock will cut down, but not eliminate this problem.
 
I am surprised that no one has mentioned K O by Raritan. I used this product for 12 years on our trawler and never had a hint of odor. We had a 55 gallon holding tank and sometimes it didn't get pumped out for 6 to 9 months. I also had a pretty poor vent system. This stuff is great.
 
quote:

Originally posted by waveform

I am surprised that no one has mentioned K O by Raritan. I used this product for 12 years on our trawler and never had a hint of odor. We had a 55 gallon holding tank and sometimes it didn't get pumped out for 6 to 9 months. I also had a pretty poor vent system. This stuff is great.



There is a reason I chose odorlos over K O but I can't remember at this point what it was. K O is supposed to be very good also.
 
I am in Florida and have used odorloss for years.
Never had an odor. I have left the boat for up to six weeks and no problems.
I do pump out a lot always do a second pump after filling with water.
I was told KO does not work well if there is a loop in your vent hose or if it was over 6 feet.
 
Are odorloos and KO similar products? I thought KO was a bacteria that ate the stuff??
 
quote:

Originally posted by pdecat

Are odorloos and KO similar products? I thought KO was a bacteria that ate the stuff??






They are not the same but they do the same thing, digest the sewage and minimize odor without chemicals or deoderants..

I believe one is bacteria and the other is an enzime. I don't remember which is which.
 
quote:

Originally posted by jeffk

........I was told KO does not work well if there is a loop in your vent hose or if it was over 6 feet.





That doesn't make a lot of sense so it needs an explanation.
 
I believe KO works aerobically & Odorlos works anaerobically. So if your tank has good ventilation, use KO. If poor ventilation, then use the Odorlos.
Al
 
quote:

Originally posted by lobsta1

I believe KO works aerobically & Odorlos works anaerobically. So if your tank has good ventilation, use KO. If poor ventilation, then use the Odorlos.
Al






Exactly.
 
been using KO for years and I dont think my vents are all that great but without boat fix all I can find id odorlos so I guess I'll have to change.
 
quote:

Originally posted by rawidman

quote:

Originally posted by jeffk

........I was told KO does not work well if there is a loop in your vent hose or if it was over 6 feet.





That doesn't make a lot of sense so it needs an explanation.








This was stated by Peggy Hall when she was the moderator of the forum.
I believe it does make sense as it deals with ventilation.
Her claim was too long of a hose or a loop impeded ventilation and minimized the effectiveness of KO.
I have a loop in my ventline and tried KO without much success.
I have used odorloss for years now without a whiff of an odor.
Based on my personal experience, I would take her advise
 
I finally threw in the towel and went with the vent filter...finally no stink!! maybe I'll try odorlos when the filter dies, ko didn't do it for me.
 
Back
Top