ELENALYNN, 2012 BEGINS, ( A photo journey.)

It's actually a very nicely designed boat.
Would love to see pics of the inside.
It looks like it has like 4 different levels.
If they made a boat like this in fiberglass, I would be all over it!
 
Most of these "project boats" owners seem to start out like this, Jimmy's first post:

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=134464

And end up something like we see here. Would you still say you "stole" this boat? I commented at the time in response, as to how much money the former owner threw in on the deal.
Anyway a cautionary tale for others. I admire his tenacity, and ability to do a lot of this work, but it is beginning to remind me of the movie Fitzcarraldo, as well as the documentary about the making of the movie.
 
quote:

Originally posted by caltexfla

Most of these "project boats" owners seem to start out like this, Jimmy's first post:

http://www.boatered.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=134464

And end up something like we see here. Would you still say you "stole" this boat? I commented at the time in response, as to how much money the former owner threw in on the deal.
Anyway a cautionary tale for others. I admire his tenacity, and ability to do a lot of this work, but it is beginning to remind me of the movie Fitzcarraldo, as well as the documentary about the making of the movie.






Never saw this thread. Only the other as I posted to it several times (being the former owner of a wood boat).
 
Jimmy paid $3000 and took on the project, the storage, and the disposal responsibility. YAAAAAAA.

The last wood boat project for me was a chainsaw and burn for the screws. Never did trust the screws so
it ended up being exercize. 40 years ago.
 
Yes, I would still say it. So far I haven't really put out much in the lines of cash. I got A twin Woodie for free and took it apart through winter and stored it, that's where all the timber came from. I paid for one summer and two winters, which I would have had to pay weather she was wood or glass. I put out 100 bucks for the rib material because I had none on hand at the time I needed it. As for the time and labor, I love doing it so I really don't give two craps about that. As for the rest of the project I will be looking at about another 5 grand to complete the " project " I got the time and I have the founds. So, for A boat that was surveyed 4 years ago at 800 grand replacement, I would still say I stole it, only being in it for about 15 or 20 said and done. I will not be cutting her up, or burning, dumping her or any other, do I tell you to do it with yours? I do it because I love it and I love my boat. Last I checked it was boating and everything has to be fixed at one time or another, that's the nature of the game if you cant handle it then its time to get the heck out. I hate these guys that cant or will not fix their own stuff because they are simply too lazy or just don't have the knowledge to do it themselves and they just dump it and buy new or newer. so yes I love my boat and my project. thank you. Sorry if I offended the wrong people, any positive or negative feedback will be appreciated, HOWEVER I will not tolerate anyone suggesting that I destroy my boat.
 
quote:

Originally posted by Jimmy.S

So, for A boat that was surveyed 4 years ago at 800 grand replacement, I would still say I stole it, only being in it for about 15 or 20 said and done.





Although I surely and truly admire your tenacity and devotion to your boat, whomever the surveyor was that gave a "800 grand" replacement value for that boat 4 years ago was smoking some serious stuff.

Actually, I can't wait to see her back up to snuff and in the water.

Bob
 
Truefully, after reading this thread and the other threads I would not even think of owning a boat such as this one. The $800K is not what the boat is worth. Try getting it insured for that amount! We all drool over the classic wood boats that are fully restored. A wooden boat is a rich man's toy. It would be best to understand that it's going to $X,000 a year to keep her.
 
$800,000 is what a new boat of the same size and equipment would cost.

It is not a bogus figure. Most surveys list a replacement value.

These figures are more relavent when the survey is on recent model year boat.
 
It depends on what your pastime of choice is, boating or the boat itself. If you have the time, skills, and love for the work, restoring an old boat is a great hobby. If you value your time at zero, then of course the cost is relatively minimal. There are others of us who are in it because we love boating, and lack the time, or skills or love for the work (or all of the above). We may put a high price on the value of our time as well. It's not a matter of being lazy. By my personal standards, Jimmy's boat is incredibly expensive, impossibly so given the time and effort required to restore it. Not to mention that at the end of the day, it will still be a 43 year old and counting Pacemaker. That's why love is a wonderful and very necessary thing. I wish him the best of good fortune with his venture, and many happy days on the water once she is seaworthy.
 
Thanks for your comments guys I do appreciate it and it is sometimes the only thing that keeps me going,,,we got A ton done so far, I will upload the pictures when I get home. We are still here,but the flying bridge is gone and in the back of my truck, the hole is gone, the pilot house is all unscrewed and just sitting there on it's own accord, just gotta pop the top, props and tape the glass and doors should be an easy day and out by noon tomorrow. Not bad for two old guys EH. lol.
 
Flying Bridge is gone.

FlyingBridgeisgone1.jpg


FlyingBridgeisgone2.jpg


FlyingBridgeisgone3.jpg


FlyingBridgeisgone4.jpg


FlyingBridgeisgone.jpg


Hole is gone.

Holeisgone1.jpg


Holeisgone.jpg


Vinnie

Vinnie.jpg
 
Finally got the pictures from Vinnie late last night so I posted them first chance I got,, Enjoy.
 
Jimmy: Don't listen to those nay-sayers. You obviously enjoy what you're doing, have the skills to do the job correctly, and feel you are more than getting your money's worth. What more could you ask for! About ten years ago, I decided to refurbish a cabin cruiser. I bought a 1980 Classic (that's the manufacturer-out of business in 1990 or so)24' cruiser with a single Mercruiser I/O. I spent 3 1/2 years rebuilding, replacing, creating every aspect of the boat other than the hull itself. It was relaxing and very rewarding to do the carpentry, upholstery, sewing, wiring, plumbing, mechanical, and painting on the boat. We used it for two seasons until the keel collapsed over a winter's storage. I'd do it all over again, if given the opportunity, though my wife wouldn't! Enjoy your project and keep us posted. Hy
 
Back
Top