Portable Generator Question...

quote:

Originally posted by rnbenton

quote:

Originally posted by walterv

Doug,
Only has a 1 gallon tank, which in my application, lasted about 6 hours of continuous use.






You can buy a kit to attach an external gas tank to it VERY easily. I used a 3 gal plastic tank (same one I use for my dink motor). With 4 available gallons of fuel that little sucker will run, seemingly, forever.

Bob








+1. Order an extra gas cap for transport.

Do NOT make the mistake I made. Honda chargs $120+ for a 6 gallon tank a hose and a barb fitting.

Before I sold the Regal, I was in the process of tapping into the fuel line and putting a fitting on the transom that would connect the gennie to the main fuel tank via a squeeze bulb hose for a Honda outboard.
 
I've used the Honda eu2000 on two of my last boats, just for hot water and charging batteries. Never left it running while sleeping, etc. I've also used it while working on the boat or around my house. Also loaned it to a friend who lost power for several days. Great unit, but as others have mentioned, all safety rules apply.
 
quote:

Originally posted by KiDa

quote:

Originally posted by rnbenton

quote:

Originally posted by walterv

Doug,
Only has a 1 gallon tank, which in my application, lasted about 6 hours of continuous use.






You can buy a kit to attach an external gas tank to it VERY easily. I used a 3 gal plastic tank (same one I use for my dink motor). With 4 available gallons of fuel that little sucker will run, seemingly, forever.

Bob








+1. Order an extra gas cap for transport.

Do NOT make the mistake I made. Honda chargs $120+ for a 6 gallon tank a hose and a barb fitting.

Before I sold the Regal, I was in the process of tapping into the fuel line and putting a fitting on the transom that would connect the gennie to the main fuel tank via a squeeze bulb hose for a Honda outboard.










How far along did you get on this? I've been considering something similar, wondered what kind of parts you had in mind and what the setup would be.
 
I used a Honda for years and I just don't get the fumes argument, fumes are fumes, whether coming from a built in genny or one on the swim platform. I would think that a boat genny burning a gallon an hour produces more fumes than a Honda burning a gallon every 6 hours. Now it might be different if it had a catalytic converter on the built in one.
 
I have not seen any portaable generator even compare to the Honda.
The 2000I will not run a 16k air conditioner, but should run a 12k. You cannot even hear the Honda running, and it is very dependable, and It starts every time.
If a/c is a must, I would recomend the Honda 3000 watt. Its also very quiet, but will work. It is a little pricy at around 1700.00.
It has a 30 amp twist lock NEMA 5-30 plug already installed, so your shore power cord will plug right in.
Good Luck.
 
quote:


When Honda or other manufacturers start labelling and marketing their portable gensets for use on boats and West Marine and other marine retailers begin selling them, I will be convinced that they are safe. Until then, nope, 'fraid not.






Ron

A lot of us trawler owners carry one as a backup for the main genny. I have had one for 10 years now, and it has never let me down, which is more than I can say about my 8KW Onan.
 
quote:

Originally posted by GnrlPatton

quote:

Originally posted by KiDa

quote:

Originally posted by rnbenton

quote:

Originally posted by walterv

Doug,
Only has a 1 gallon tank, which in my application, lasted about 6 hours of continuous use.






You can buy a kit to attach an external gas tank to it VERY easily. I used a 3 gal plastic tank (same one I use for my dink motor). With 4 available gallons of fuel that little sucker will run, seemingly, forever.

Bob








+1. Order an extra gas cap for transport.

Do NOT make the mistake I made. Honda chargs $120+ for a 6 gallon tank a hose and a barb fitting.

Before I sold the Regal, I was in the process of tapping into the fuel line and putting a fitting on the transom that would connect the gennie to the main fuel tank via a squeeze bulb hose for a Honda outboard.










How far along did you get on this? I've been considering something similar, wondered what kind of parts you had in mind and what the setup would be.












I sold the boat before I installed it. It's pretty straight forward though.

This is what you are trying to duplicate.

Honda+ext+gas+1.jpg


I don't know if pulling from the ER, if you won't need a primer bulb in the line.

You "T" or "Y" into the fuel line before the carb/FI with something like this:

gas-connector-039t039piece.jpg


or this:

Y-fittingPopulated-265pxW.jpg
.

You would have to get one of the smart engineer folks here to tell you which was best. I was going to use the "Y" in the event I wanted to run the gennie while underway. The thought being I wouldn't want to be trying to pull the fuel 90* from the source while the source was in motion. That was S.W.A.G. Mathmetics at best

Get enough fuel line to fun safely from the "T" or "Y" to the transom. DON'T CUT IT YET!.

Get a couple of these:

23-89016_2.jpg


There are many options here. Mount it to the transom. Possible ankle/knee biter. Recess it in a stainless steel drink holder in the transom. Sexy, but involves a big hole and might catch rain. Bring it up through the stern shower or the transom trunk. Anyhow, you get the picture. Leave enough fuel line so you can pull it out when you need it and push it back when you don't. You could also mount it in the cap of the gennie and mount the female end of the connection to the hose if you went the retractable route.

95946530-149x149-0-0_Sierra+Sierra+International+18+80401+Marine+Fuel+C.jpg


I believe the Honda fittings are sealed when separated

3672178c_2.gif


and free flow when joined.

10.jpg
 
the Honda is very noisy when under a load! And it will really being under a load to care 12K...I tried it, no worth the time money
or pain in the a..
 
Not noisy if you insulate it as one would a regular marine generator. No offense, but let's stay on track.
 
quote:

Originally posted by KiDa

Not noisy if you insulate it as one would a regular marine generator. No offense, but let's stay on track.




I remember a post somewhere from a guy who was modifying a styrofoam cooler to make a noise and water shield for his portable generator. I wonder how that turned out?

Insulating a portable genset is a little more difficult than insulating a marine genset because the marine genset is water cooled while the portable is air cooled and needs a large supply of air for cooling. And the marine genset is usually installed in a part of the boat that helps to muffle the sound.
 
They are as safe as anything else, it s all about how they are used

This thing about being quiet though is BS... Yes they are quiet when lightly loaded but not running near full load

There is a sailboat anchored about 300' from me right now and his Honda is anything but quiet. I can hear it over my own genset (20kw diesel!). It s not bad, but certainly not quiet

Use responsively! :)
 
Your genset is in an insulated container Pascal. I'll bet if you opened up said container the noise would be comparable.
 
David

I agree 100% but its irrelevant. What is is the impact on other boaters because people keep saying they are quiet

They are not when loaded although in all fairness they re not much worst than most marine gennies or even wind generators. They do make a higher pitch noise, kind of like a Honda with trash can exhaust... Vs the deep rumble of a V8 or the melody of a v12 :)
 
I agree with Pascal under load they make more noise than while not under load, especially if you use that lower rpm feature (slows the motor down when not under load). Also, comparing to any other generator this size(power) in my experience is far, far more quiet, but with that said, you can't compare the noise level compared to a generator sitting in a sound box in the belly of a boat. My noise comparison also was based on using it on land, I think we all know how sound travels over the water, so with that said I would not want to be downwind of someone using this on there boat.
 
Portable generators are like screaming children, Everyone hears them except the owner.
 
quote:

Originally posted by rawidman

quote:

Originally posted by dwarren

.......I'm talking about having a small quiet generator sitting top side (on bow pulpit most likely) ..........





When folks talk about taking all precautions when using a portable genset on a boat, it's easy to overlook certain possibilities. If your boat is anchored (from the bow, I hope), it will likely be facing into the wind. Now where does the CO from the genset go? Back towards your cabin, berth, etc.

If you insist on using a portable genset on a boat (you have convinced yourself that it's perfectly safe or safer than a built in, properly installed marine genset), the only safe place for it is on the swim platform where the wind will blow the exhaust gasses away from the boat and the transom will block them from entering the boat.

When Honda or other manufacturers start labelling and marketing their portable gensets for use on boats and West Marine and other marine retailers begin selling them, I will be convinced that they are safe. Until then, nope, 'fraid not.








Well, news flash for you, Honda's marketing material does include them being used on boats and marketed towards boats.

Click on the video

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i-companion

Are those boats that I see in this Yamaha marketing material?

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelgallerylib/626/1/0/gallery.aspx#

West Marine does not sell them because they do not carry Honda outboards and are not a Honda distributor.

Any retailer that sells Honda outboards will also sell Honda generators.
 
quote:

Originally posted by parker2120

where can you buy that suitcase






It comes with the boat attached! Nice boat too.

All you need is some wood and some Dynamat. There are a lot of articles on the www. Some by engineers.
 
Back
Top