Portable Generator Question...

Wow, this is the largest thread I've ever started in terms of responses :-)....all great info. I did go with the yamaha and find it very light and quiet (even under load to a degree). I plan on having it with me on those trips where I may want to stay out on hook for extended days/nights and run off of DC power. The generator would go to beach with me or just run AC for short bursts. I'm probably the most curious person in any given cove and would never want anyone (even those that don't reciprocate courtesy) to have a bad experience/boating day because of me. I didn't want to spend money on two generators that would only get used once in a blue moon. Figured I would actually use this more. 500 hours rated, quiet as a mouse (and yes, quieter than my old Onan below decks but that was an old sucker). Great info though cap's....much appreciated.
 
Any idea what kind of Onan you had? Our isn't in a sound shield, and is still quite quiet. From in the cabin, there's just the plywood flooring, carpet padding and carpet to isolate the sound, which is reduce to a light purr, which gets a bit louder under heavier load (such as when the A/C is on). From outside, if you're really close (within 20 feet or so), you can hear some purring through the hull, but otherwise, you just hear the water splashing out of the discharge (very quiet waterlift muffler). From the deck, unless you're on the side with the exhaust discharge, other than the very slight vibration, you'd never know it was running.
 
Posted - Mar 06 2013 : 09:35:36
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by parker2120

where can you buy that suitcase

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It comes with the boat attached! Nice boat too.

All you need is some wood and some Dynamat. There are a lot of articles on the www. Some by engineers.

____________

Best Regards,

David
Saint Max
'99 330 Sundancer

I have had a look on the www but it all looks a bit rough and maybe ok for camping but not something I would want to put on the swim platform as a fixed attachment. Whereas this "suitcase" looks quite neat.

Regards Brad
 
I have the Honda myself and have complained about the noise. I've never run it for more than 5 minutes before giving up once it's under load. I know I'm in the minority, there are 100 posts saying how incredibly quiet it is compared to mine. I keep coming across those posts and try it again and just get aggravated. It doesn't bother me so much, it just "feels" like I'm talking on a phone in the movies...

I'm definitely open to ideas on how to make it quieter. Don't get me wrong, it's a great generator and I had no problem running it for days at home after Sandy.

Bob
 
Back
Top