RESOLVED - Crusader 454- Stalling barely idling

I went ahead and bought a Mallory fuel pump, that will also be an exact spare for Plain Vanilla after I get done with this. Put it on a board, with a switch, and power lines with fuses right at at both battery terminals. I'll have a tee right at the pump discharge to install a mechanical fuel pressure gage.

I'm going to put 100 gallons of fuel into the starboard tank. I'll disconnect the fuel line at the starboard engine's mechanical pump. Then hook the Mallory in that line via fuel hose and double clamps.

I'm then going to disconnect the supply pipe to the port engine's mechanical fuel pump. I'll also remove the fuel filter from the port engines fuel filter can while pumping fuel from the starboard side.

I'll hook the discharge up from the Mallory to the port engines fuel feed line.

Then I'm going to pump the 100 gallons from the starboard side, through all the hoses and hardpipes, and the starboard engine's fuel filter, then backwards through the port engine's system, into the port tank.

And then when all the fuel is in the port, I'll install a filter in the port cartridge can, and remove the filter from the starboard can. And then pump the fuel back into the starboard.

And back and forth and back and forth, until I stop getting crud on both filters.

This should clean the interior of the lines nicely and hopefully push any scum out into a filter.

I'll also disconnect the line between the carb and the engine's pump and spray lots of carb cleaner through it.

Lastly, both engine pumps need to come off so I can inspect them and replace if needed.

I need to do all of this because I bought a boat that sat for ten years with half tanks of gas that turned to varnish and black residue. I found a farmer that took the bad gas, but I have to get the tanks and lines clean before I go out on the water.

You can follow my project in the link below, in the album Carver Mariner, starting with prebuy.
 
In my signature line, very bottom of my post. I haven't polished the fuel yet, but when I do, there will be pis
 
Back
Top