dock GFCI trips out

With respect, if the marina is still in violation of code, the problem is not fully resolved.
 
quote:

Originally posted by KiDa

With respect, if the marina is still in violation of code, the problem is not fully resolved.





This is my understanding as well, based on D Andrews explanation. I'd like to hear how / if this gets properly resolved...
 
When I said problem was resolved I was looking at from my standpoint. I fixed everything that is my responsibility. I cannot control what the marina does. I did meet with the marina owner and made him aware of my results. I don't think he will make any changes.
 
Did your slip neighbors problems get resolved or was your boat causing his breaker to trip?
Bill
 
I'm not sure what my dock neighbor may have done but he appears to be operating without problems.
 
quote:

Originally posted by PatSea

UPDATE - PROBLEM RESOLVED
Wanted to let you know there were two problems found on the boat which caused the pedastal breaker to trip.
1. There was a short in the water heater. I had stopped useing the water heater about 5 years ago because it was leaking. Decided to go without hot water due to the difficulty of replacing heater. However, the wiring was still connected to the heater. I disconnected the wiring, insulated the ends.
2. One of the 20 amp GFI outlets in the galley had an internal short. It literally fell apart into many pieces as I took it out of the outlet box. Installed new GFI breaker and works fine.
I'm now running all systems on the 20 amp GFCI breaker on the power pedastal without tripping the breaker.
Thanks for all the suggestions from this board. Your ideas were helpful.
This difficult episode reinforced to me the need to thoroughly check out all electrical problems until the root cause is determined, rather than blame it on the marina. Ground faults on boats are serious business.






Earlier you posted "I had an electrician check my boat wiring and he found no problems."

Now you post that you found two problems that caused the GFCI to trip. It's great that you solved the issue, but it was probably one or the other that was really causing the breaker to trip. It's unlikely that they happened at the same time.
 
Back
Top